7.08.2013

Weekend Project: How to Refinish a Wooden Dining Table

So I finally convinced Craig to let me buy some new chairs for the kitchen dining area (kidding, I may have just went ahead and bought them).

Thing is, the old Craigslist find we bought back in 2011 wasn't looking in thrilling shape.  It was showing it's age.

We ultimately got here in a weekend.  Nice no?



This is what the finish of it looked like before.



Step One: Starting with sanding.  And then sanding some more.
I had a 120 grit that came with the B&D Mouse Sander - that didn't cut it in the slightest.  A run to HD and I picked up some 80 grit.  That worked fantastically.  



Step One Continued:  More sanding.  This will take longer than you expect. 
Tip: Make sure you sand with the grain of the wood, in nice broad strokes up and down.


Step Two:  Enjoy a congratulatory beverage.  And have the husband photobomb with the baby.



Back to Step One:  Because you are not done yet little girl.

Sanding down the table took about 3 hours total.


Step Two Repeated: (Remember beverage?)

The wood looked so healthy and ready for some love.



Step Three:  Stain!  

This will go quick.  The stain will dry quick, move fast.

I used Varathane Brand Stain + Poly in Dark Walnut.  I wasn't absolutely thrilled with it.  I think I would probably buck up and buy stain and polyurethane afterwards if I were to do this again.


The tongue must be just so.


Also, you will get D.I.R.T.Y.  And not in the good way.



Once stain coat number one is complete, wait to dry.

Step 4: Do 1-2 more coats depending on your patience and desired coverage color.


Finished product - a nice matte richness.  It was a touch too red for me (which is why I went with Dark Walnut, since it's supposed to be less red) but still looks pretty damn good imho.


Finished product, chillin with the new silver cafe chairs (4 for $199 @ Overstock.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment